Virginia Slims Cigarettes - It’s a woman thing!
Virginia Slims is a popular cigarette brand produced by Philip Morris International. The brand was launched in early 1968 and advertised to young women applying the slogan "You've come a long way, baby." Some media experts considered this promotion to be in charge for a fast boost in cigarette use among teenage girls. Subsequent promotion has used the slogan, “It’s a woman thing."
Virginia Cigarettes are available in super slims, light, ultra-light, and menthol styles. The packaging, developed by Walter Landor, is white with a colored stripe coming along the left side, which discerns diverse varieties.
Virginia Slims cigarette were advertised as a female-oriented addition to their Benson and Hedges range. The mixtures, flavorings, color design, and entire marketing ideas tightly observed the Benson and Hedges type. The very first test marketplaces were San Francisco and California. Initially planned for six months, it was shortened after more than seven weeks because of the success of the intro - an almost 3% market penetration. Supply and marketing was applied countrywide, and already by September 30, 1968, the whole U.S. was covered. Overall, there have been 11 packages launched or test promoted in the US, of which only 7 are still available on the market. Even thought there are some other styles promoted in Russia and South Africa.
In the 1960s and 1970s, the subjects of feminism and women's freedom, with the slogan "You've Come A Long Way, Baby" were frequently used in the advertisements, and often showcased stories about women in the early 20th century who were penalized for being caught lighting up, most often by their husbands or other men, in comparison to the time of the advertisements when more ladies had equal rights, generally comparing cigarette use to such things as the right to vote. TV and print advertisements usually displayed famous models and celebrities. Virginia Slims Cigarette also financed the Women's Tennis Association Tour. This sponsorship is in some cases acknowledged for the growth and achievements of women's tennis in the course of the 70's and early 80's. From its release until 1978, Virginia Slims witnessed a constant boost in market share, however at present there is a decline, because the brand is no more seriously advertised. Even though the brand loyalty is on top of the average, and is still one of the largest in the industry.
Virginia Slims are 23mm in circumference and are not available in king-size (85mm).
- Virginia Slims 100's - Soft and Box
- Virginia Slims Gold Pack (Lights) 100's - Box
- Virginia Slims Gold Pack (Lights) 120's - Box
- Virginia Slims Silver Pack (Ultra Lights) 100's - Box
- Virginia Slims Silver Pack (Ultra Lights) 120's - Box
- Virginia Slims Menthol 100's - Soft and Box
- Virginia Slims Menthol Gold Pack (Lights) 100's - Box
- Virginia Slims Menthol Gold Pack (Lights) 120's - Box
- Virginia Slims Menthol Silver Pack (Ultra Lights) 100's - Box
- Virginia Slims Menthol Silver Pack (Ultra Lights) 120's - Box
Superslims are 21mm in circumference and are slightly more than half the diameter of regular Virginia Slims. They are also known as "purse packs."
- Virginia Slims Superslims - Box
- Virginia Slims Superslims Gold Pack (Lights) - Box
- Virginia Slims Superslims Menthol - Box
- Virginia Slims Superslims Menthol Gold Pack (Lights) - Box
Virginia cigarettes varieties on Cigarette-Store.biz
- Virginia Super Slims Premium One
- Virginia Super Slims Premium Blue
- Virginia Super Slims UNO White
- Virginia Super Slims UNO Black
- Virginia Super Slims Premium
By Sara Norton, Staff Writer.
Copyright © 2014 Cigarette-Store.biz. All rights reserved.